7/18/11

more summer adventures!

So, this blog will be about two of my favorite summer experiences: worshipping with Hillsong United & going to my dad's for a family reunion.

Ahh, the Hillsong United night - it was fantastic. I've seen them before a couple years ago and it blew me away. They're an awesome band for sure, musically speaking. But that's not what gets me. It's worshipping. That's definitely my favorite "type" of worship - if that's allowed (; It's just a bunch of people; a bunch of loud, exciting music; and the purpose is to glorify God. I've done a lot of thinking about why it's so effective and I've come up with several explanations. It's the number of people! I wouldn't doubt it if there were a million people in the stadium. It's so focused, like there was nothing else on my mind but the task at hand: singing to God. It's not routine. At church, we become so accustomed to the way of things, it's easy to just allow worshipping a Big Deal be a small deal. And, it's just... how do I describe this... all out. Like, the best of the best lights, guitars, sound. There are some who say that all of that can be distracting and make worship something it's not, but I think that by going all out - it's just giving God the best there is! Why not make it as big of a deal as possible? We have the choice of making worship the biggest deal in our hearts; we can't always control the circumstances, but in this case we can. It's like the world just slowed down for a night and I was overwhelmed by God and His power and His ultimate purpose for us - to glorify Him. I could seriously praise Him like that constantly. And to think - that's what I'll get to do in heaven? Good grief - God is good!

Then, the first week of July I had myself a mini road-trip over to St. Louis to visit with my dad and his family who were reuniting for my grandma & grandpa's 50th wedding anniversary. I missed camp counseling for it, so I was bummed at first - but it was SO worth it. It's not the first time I've met my aunts and uncles and cousins, but for some of them it was the first time I've ever really spent time with them. For most of them though I was just building on the relationship I already have with them. It was nice because we were past that awkward 'we're related but I don't know you' stage. Since sometimes my dad and I don't really click that well it's been really nice these past couple of years to like... find out what's made me half of who I am through his siblings and his parents. They're a loud, joyous bunch - and there's a lot of them. They're super likable, and they love God, and they're funny, and they're so animated! It's also really cool to get the "big family" experience. Living with just my mom is awesome and I'm blessed to be so close with her but there's nothing quite like that crazy, chaotic environment.

It's interesting because all of the boys are my age and all of the girls are like around the preteen age. So, I'm in two groups - the older and the girls. I had some good moments with the fellas and a ton of fun girl time! To be straight up honest with you - I love being the oldest girl, I have a million little eyes on me and I get a lot of love (; And, I got overwhelmed and annoyed at times - but apparently that's what cousins are for? Oh and we I got to stay with a family that my dad used to live with - I hadn't seen them in like 5 years! They aren't blood family, but they might as well be! Those kids were seriously like my brother and sister when my dad lived with them - it was so good to be reunited with them. There were such fun happenings throughout the week. We played a lot of cards and games, we went sight-seeing, we went to a Cardinals game, we went to six flags, we had two parties, we went shopping, EVERY night was a late-night with the girls, it was nonstop craziness! I miss them already. I don't know when the next time I'll be able to see them will be.. that's depressing. And honestly I've been really conflicted since getting back because I enjoyed myself so much - there's so much heartache and tangled-ness in the life of anyone with divorced parents. It sucks. But, I know God will use everything I look at as bad for His good and His glory.
DA GIRLS! eating at the Old Spaghetti Factory in downtown St. Louis - apparently where my Uncle proposed to my Aunt.

DA BOYS & I! riding the metro like straight up gs

shopping for hats? haha

all of the girl cousins :) me helping maria SMILLLEEE (ya know, she's going through that angsty phase)

just a glimpse of the chaos - 30 people, 1 house.

No comments:

Post a Comment