1/13/11

words that stuck

Someone who I really respect once said this to me my senior year:

"I think you would really love you as an upperclassmen"

It was said at one of those times where I just felt like I was giving and giving and giving and I wasn't really getting much back. But that perspective helped me push through til the end of the year and I continued to lead with the mindset of how would I feel about me if I were the people I'm investing in.

As a freshman in college I'm not sure what place I have in investing/leadership. That profound yet simple question doesn't seem to really apply to me anymore. Maybe that I would love me as an underclassmen as an upperclassmen? But I don't think that it really works that way. I feel like I'm learning about leadership in a whole new way this year by being lead. I'm learning about the things I like and the things I don't like. Like, sometimes last year I felt like I was going too far out of my way to help someone and I'd get embarrassed or uncomfortable - but MAN as a scared little freshman this year, I yearned for people to put their schedule on hold to help me or to ask awkward questions, but questions that needed to be asked nonetheless to help further my walk. And often I think about how I'd do things differently than I see the current leaders doing them.

Anyway, that little question has stuck in my mind since it was asked and I think back to it often. I find it kind of ironic that it's was helping me with my leadership but it was said through leadership :) And I think about why I'm so passionate about leadership and it's only because leadership was so impacting to me. I know I wouldn't be where I am today without my mentors - including the person who asked me that questions that lingers in my mind to this day! I guess all I'm really getting at is: leadership is boss. Holler.

P.S. I gave a persuasive speech about leadership this past semester - persuading to lead through love instead of fear.

P.P.S. like an hour after I posted this blog my RA said she was encouraged BY ME!! Wow, thanks, God.

No comments:

Post a Comment