You have to be kidding me... I've been in Argentina for over a month?!? I don't even know where to begin to explain my time here; I don't know if I even know what I think about it, I haven't even had time to slow down and reflect! But you know what? I'm going to have plenty of time for that when I get back;) I only have 6 months here!
Okay, let's see... generally, I am getting more and more accustomed to life in Buenos Aires. I'm starting to know my way around pretty well. I'm gaining more confidence in the language little by little, but at the same time it's hit-or-miss. I have really good days where I'm really on top of my spanish and I utilize every opportunity to speak it and at the same time I have bad days where nothing comes out right, sometimes not even the right language! Oh, and I have these english words that are SO stuck in my
vocabulary and it's horribleee: "like" and "I mean". I took my written exam to finish up my first
"intensive spanish class" today, and I feel like I did pretty well! I enjoyed the class I had, it was a good
 |
In Uruguay!
|
easy review to start out with and get my facts straight. I'm also glad I took this class because it covered what we use in basic conversation whereas when you get up too far in the upper-level classes it covers
stuff that you hardly ever use but is still a part of the language. Which is good! I still want to learn it for sure! It was just good to repasar y practicar what I'm using day-to-day! I start my next intensive next week, a level higherrr! Hereee we go.
 |
| Uruguayan street |
I have
had severalll great adventures lately:) Last friday a bunch of us went to Uruguay for the day which is just a short hour boat ride away from Buenos Aires. We spent the day in Colonia, a small, old-school, touristy town. It had beautiful brick streets and a lot of interesting preeetty ancient architecture. I was picture-happy, as always, so go look though my Uruguay album on fb!! On the other hand, it was also a grey, rainy day. We spent the afternoon huddled in an heladeria playing cards and spending time together. When we returned we got food from barrio chino (the BA version of china town) and ate and laughed and reflected on the day. I learned some pretty interesting Argentine hand gestures at dinner... we'll just leave it at that. Since then I've already found myself using a few in normal conversation, or using them completely randomly, whichever;) Last sunday we walked around a HUGE market in the barrio San Telmo. It was also a pretty nasty day, but it was still fun for sure! I
 |
| San Telmo Market |
bought myself a mate and some other Argentine things! Ask me and I'll explain it to you ha! We ate at a restaurant where people just randomly came in and started dancing tango... well trying to sell lessons, but still, it was pretty sweet. I have had some great times with the people I'm studying here with. I'm so bummed for the old gringos to leave though, goodness they were such a blessing for the short time they were here!
There still so much of the city to see, so much of the language to learn, so many classes to attend, so many amaneceres to see. Excited to keep going. Trying to take it one step at a time though. So grateful
for this opportunity.
Oh, and about the title.... you only live onceeee!
Great pictures and info. So looking forward to experiencing some of Argentina with you!
ReplyDelete