Ohh, life. Ohh, college. College has taught me wayyyyy more than I even thought was left to learn about myself and other people. And maybe the thing it's taught me most is that I don't know anythingggg. I feel like I've blogged about that a lot, but each time I reflect I seriously feel like I've come to an even stronger realization of that.
First of all what's new is: Grace switched to a 4 session system. So basically, that means I take 3 classes, 8 weeks at a time instead of 5 classes, two semesters at a time. It's different, that's for sure! I have FULL days monday and thursday and then only one one-hour class on tuesday and friday - absolutely nothing on wednesday. It's such a weird schedule! And I've learned that just because I don't have much tuesday, wednesday, friday doesn't actually mean that I'll not have anything to do on those days. Those days fill up pretty quickly with meetings, homework, projects, socializing, etc. But this new system has also lead to a LOT of homework. Work done outside of class is about equivalent to the work done in class.
As for the classes I'm taking this session? Teaching in a Pluralistic Society - the teacher likes to hear himself talk, some information is interesting, a lot of work. Math for Elementary - easy, but I don't really enjoy it. & Teaching Exceptional Learners - LOVE, great teacher, great material about students who have special needs or are gifted, and the teacher really presents it in a great way: not too much work, interestingly.
Next, let me tell you a little bit about my roommate. I love her. Yep, I doooo. She loves God a whole lot and I admire her walk with Him and learn from her everyday. We're just different enough that we keep each other on our toes, but still get along. She makes me feel cared about, which I appreciate soo much and need, really! We have great talks about God and life. She's an English major who uses rill gud grammer (that's my attempt at contrasting my grammar with hers) and voluptuous words that flavor our colloquy with majesty. (; Aaaaaand, she dresses real-adorable-like in dresses and skirts and cardigans galore. And I just lover her! Oh did I say that already?
My whole hall is great really. We have a fantastic group of freshman, who aren't weird like so many Gracies here - don't take offense to that anyone reading this, you probably aren't... or maybe you are... but still! no offense! I live real close to so many of my friends, it's wonderful. Oh yeah, my neighbors are cool too. Everyone is cool on my hall!
Recently, I joined a bible study after some encouragement from my old youth pastor to commit myself more at my church up at college this year. It's been.... interesting to say the least. I hated it after the first meeting. It's called "the Truth Project" by focus on the family and there are only 3 of us - 4 plus the leader: a guy a couple years out of college, a older middle-aged bearded kind of strange man, and the leader is an old, gentle, retired professor from Grace. What an eclectic group of people, right? But, it's grown on me. They've grown on me. Oh, also the first lesson was just dumb, it was one of those "what is truth? are you saved?" introduction to Christianity type deals, but after that they've been good, the next was ethics and philosophy and the one after that was about how man was inherently evil. It's also nice to just get off campus for a change.
So, we have 2 weeks til fall break and then we will begin session 2. All new classes... and all of mine are 8ams. KILL ME NOW! Even freshman year I didn't have that many 8ams. It's gonna be rough! But thankfully I can go back to my room and nap after my morning classes.
Oh, also new news: I dropped my elementary education major so I'm now just a Spanish education major again (not a double anymore). This summer, working with the special needs summer school rejuvenated my love for special needs. Then I came back and had a class that focused on it? I was sold. I looked into adding it and realized that it would make me a triple major: Spanish, elementary, and special ed - because Grace doesn't really have a solo special ed major anymore. So I didn't want to do that. I did a little research and found out that I have better odds adding a special education licensure as a masters later on. So why was I even majoring in elementary ed anymore anyway? Dropping it allows me to graduate next year. Oh, and next year I'll be studying abroad (in probably Argentina) for the first semester and then student teaching the second. Then I'm done. What? Too fast!
Yeah, so, life is good. Having it's ups and downs. God's continually sanctifying me. My mom sent me this quote the other day:
"when a man is getting better, he understand more and more clearly the evil that is still left in him."-C.S. Lewis
And I think that's happening in my life. That's what I was referring to at the beginning of this blog. It's such an ironic thing. But I mean, that's kind of to be expected coming from God. He does do everything backwards. (; I just love Him and His grace more and more.
Also, this year, I'm working on not taking anything for granted. Looking back on my senior year, I was looking forward wayyyy too much. Not that I regret my attitude then, it's brought me to where I am right now. But man, it's hard not to do that in college as well. Especially since I only really have one more year on campus. I'm finding that balance between guarding my heart & not getting too invested in something that I'm just going to leave and giving my all, my 100%. But isn't that what life's about? Finding the balance in things? But anyways, I know that when I graduate - yes, many problems that I have now in college will be fixed. But the real world will new bring problems, and that will come in its time. There is a time for everything on earth (Ecclesiastes). And it's all happens to make me more like Him. It all happens for Him.
No comments:
Post a Comment