I've been reading this book for my online summer class called "Christianity and Critical Thinking", but that's basically just a special name for philosophy, Christian style. The class has had some really great info and I've honestly enjoyed it a lot. However, the actual cranking out of a 5-7 page paper every week and reading 4-5 chapters of this book and another, I have not enjoyed as much (; But today, just now actually, I came across a quote that stopped me in my tracks. This is exactly what I've been struggling with."There are two forms of self-centeredness. One form is being very bad and breaking all the rules, and there other is being very good at keeping all the rules and becoming self-righteous. There are two ways to be your own Savior and Lord. The first is by saying 'I'm going to live my life the way I want.' The second is this... if you are avoiding sin and living morally so that God will have to bless and save you then ironically you may be looking to Jesus as a teacher model, and helper but your are avoiding Him as a Savoir. You are trusting in your own goodness rather than in Jesus for your standing with God. You are trying to save yourself."
I'm guilty of both forms. But especially the latter lately. Let me tattoo to the back of my eyelids: I need Jesus to save me. But I don't even know if that'll be enough, I probably need be reminded of that more than even the amount of times I blink. But at the same time, probably within the same moment of being self-righteous, I'll do something Jesus definitely wouldn't do for my own gratification.
The book goes on to say:
"Religion operates on the principle 'I obey, therefore I am accepted by God'. But the operating principle of the gospel is I am accepted by God through what Christ has done - therefore I obey'... The primary difference is that of motivation."
The whole chapter is about Jesus and how He makes Christianity different than other religions. And that's just it. Jesus is the key. Even though I can grasp the concept of grace, I still can't even fully accept it. Believing in Jesus covers that. And He makes me more and more aware of Him and His ways and grace, little by little, not so I can attain perfection, but so I can be refined and so I can grow.
Anyways, just wanted to type out that quote and my thoughts on the matter while my mind was athinkin' 'em. (;
No comments:
Post a Comment