5/12/09

Binded By The Night

So, last thursday, our book in creative writing was released! It was the first published book. And it really wasn't just for creative writing, but most of it was from creative writing class. Okay, I'll try to explain.. Every year, our school has published a little newspaper-looking magazine (called "The Literary Magazine") with writing works from the students of our school, like poetry, short stories.. But this year, our creative writing teacher published a whole book for it. The first year! Apparently, this has been a dream for him for quite some time. But, I had two of my writings in it! A short story I wrote in class called The Asylum and a poem I wrote called Have Heart. It was so cool having my stuff published. There was just something about having a book of my own writing, something about having my name in ink in a book that just makes it all the more real, I feel accomplished. It's a good feeling, I'll put it at that!

But, anyways, last thursday, we had our little release party. I read my poem Have Heart, and ahh, it was awesome. It was by far the best "school function" night of my junior year. I was hanging out with the creative writers, which was awesome! It was a different group of people that I normally mesh with, but I still totally meshed with them because we were the creative writers! I loved it! And I have an awesome creative writing teacher. Mr. Kenley. I had him for freshman year english too. He's a little cooky, but then again, so are most english teacher/writer people. But, okay, maybe he's a little more that a LITTLE cooky. He's straight up weird. He's all artsy and creative and experimentave. BUT, if you know me, then you know that's the way I like it! I like artsy and free and flowy and spontaneous. I hate rushing and numbers and logically thinking and black and white. Gray is so much more fun! Okay, like an example, freshman year he would make us write every day (which no other english teacher does..but I ate it up of course!) and he would be like this: He'd come to the front of the classroom and hold up a picture of something, anything and be like, "Write a story about this monster!" Or landscape. Or house. Or whatever the picture was of. Or he'd play a song and say, " Write something that matches the mood of this music. Write whatever you want about what you hear." And he's sooo chill. Like, you were guaranteed an A in his class if you turned everything in pretty much. Awesome.

But, anyways, off topic again. Thursday night. The release party was called Binded By The Night. And basically, there were a bunch of us published in the book that read their witting and there was food. There was even intermission. We were in both of the newspapers on friday! Front page!! It was so cool. I loved it. I'm definitely going to be a part of it next year!

Pictures...
EVERYONE who was a part of it!!

what you saw when you walked in (programs and sign)

Mr. Kenley and I


the stage! and our musical entertainment (Tyler!)

No comments:

Post a Comment