So, it's by this guy named A.W. Tozer. I remember reading about him, I think it was in the foreword, that he was a quiet man who devoted himself to God and spent most of his time alone - and most of his alone time on his face in awe, prayer, and meditation to God. And I think on the back it said that he was a prophet of the 19th century. And now that I'm done with the book, I can really match it up. He is a modern day prophet. And even though he's still kind of not of my generation, what he says is modern. What he says lines up with the bible AND is relevant to today. I've had this book in my possesion for over a year! Honestly, it got lost under my bed a few times. But, I got a lot out of it. Especially the chapter called "Restoring the Creator-Creature Relation". That chapter kicked my BUTT. I'm not even joking. I copied the prayer at the end of that chapter and taped it to my wall.And so, I know that I'm not done with this book at all. It is most definitely a book to read again (but I've got to return it to the dude who lent it to me, it's been over a year...come on!) I like these books. I like those things. I like learning like that. I like being stretched with words. And, I DEFINITELY RECOMMEND THIS BOOK. The reason I didn't say much about the content is because you've got to check it out for yourself! But, I think I will post that prayer that still continues to blow my mind. Tozer is a beast. And so is our Heavenly Father.
O God, be thou exalted over my possessions. Nothing of earth's treasures shall seem dear unto me if only Thou art glorified in my life. Be Thou exalted over my friendships. I am determined that Thou shalt be above all, though I must stand deserted and alone in the midst of the earth. Be Thou exalted above my comforts. Though it mean the loss of bodily comforts and the carrying of heavy crosses I shall keep my vow made this day before Thee. Be Thou exalted over my reputation. Make me ambitious to please Thee even if as a result I must sink into obscurity and my name be forgotten as a dream. Rise, O Lord, into Thy proper place of honor, above my ambitions, above my likes and dislikes, above my family, my health and even my life itself. Let me decrease that Thou mayest increase, let me sink that Thou mayest rise above. Ride forth upon me as Thou didst ride into Jerusalem mounted upon the humble little beast, and let me hear the children cry to Thee, `Hosanna in the highest.'ps] I changed one part of the quote above, they called the donkey a word I'd rather not use..so I edited that, I don't want to like..impose on some copyright. Hah, I probably already am. This probably is too, but I found an online book of it: The Pursuit Of God
Such a great read. Did you borrow my copy? I couldn't remember if I let you borrow it, but I can't find mine. Glad you are reading good stuff.
ReplyDelete